Dear Early Childhood Families,
It’s almost summertime! We appreciate your support and patience during these difficult and challenging times.
As we begin the Early Childhood Program under new classroom procedures and processes, we recognize that in order to be successful, a strong partnership with you will make a tremendous difference with the new challenges that face us due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our teachers look forward to returning to the Katz JCC Early Education Program to teach and care for your children in person. We have missed you all so much!
Below you will find new policies and procedures. Please read through them carefully.
We look forward to seeing all our families soon and to have our hallways and classrooms filled (socially distanced of course) with laughter and love.
Jan Higbee, Katz JCC Early Childhood Education Center Director Marg Rosenblatt, COO Katz JCC
Pre-screening Staff and Children:
- Temperature checks, using a no-touch forehead thermometer, will be taken on all children and staff prior to them entering the JCC.
- Any child or staff member exhibiting fever of 100.4 degrees or higher will not be admitted to the Early Childhood Education Center that day and may not return until fever-free for a minimum of 24 hours. You will be also asked if any fever relief medicine was given before arrival.
- You will be asked if you have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Any child or staff who displays other visible symptoms of illness will not be accepted into school that day. This includes but is not limited to coughing, sneezing, runny nose, rash, and lethargy.
- We ask that you err on the side of caution and be especially sensitive to all of our families and the possibility of a contagion and COVID-19.
Drop Off and Pick Up Procedures:
- Drop off and pick up will take place at the front entrance of the school on Fulton Avenue to limit the number of people entering the building. Parents, visitors and non-Early Childhood Education Center Staff will not be permitted to enter the Early Childhood Education Center during school hours.
- All parents are asked to wear a face covering during drop off and pick up.
- Each family will have a specific drop off and pick up time based on the schedule they are registered and we ask that you adhere to those times. If it is necessary for you to drop off or pick up at a different time, we ask that you call in advance and we will meet you outside to pick up or drop off your child.
- Infant carriers, car seats, and strollers must remain with families after drop off and will not be permitted to be stored at the JCC.
Children Becoming Ill in School:
- If a child begins to display symptoms of illness, including fever, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, lethargy, rash, or other symptoms, he or she will be removed from the classroom. We will have a designated staff member remain with them in a separate room until parents are able to pick them up.
- Parents are required to pick up ill children immediately. We will call emergency contacts if your child is not picked up within 30 minutes. Parents need to call the school upon arrival, remain in your vehicle and we will bring your child out to you.
- If a child is experiencing COVID-19 or other respiratory symptoms, parents are asked to seek medical attention and notify the school within 24 hours of medical diagnosis. Children may not be permitted to return to the JCC for 10 – 14 days.
- Currently, class size is limited to a total of 10 children. Teachers and children are required by the CDC Guidelines to remain together as a ‘cohort’ where teachers will be assigned a single cohort of children.
- There will be no combining of classes for before care or after care. Classrooms that had more than the maximum number of children prior to the JCC closing will be split to comply with the new guidelines.
- During naptime, we will keep cots, mats, and cribs at a minimum of six feet.
- Children will nap opposite head to feet position while six feet apart from each other.
- Bedding must be limited to a crib sheet and small blanket for all children.
- Bedding will be individually sealed in large plastic bags daily for all children who sleep on cots and mats.
- If the bedding sent in is too large to seal, it will be sent home daily to be washed and sent back the next day.
Large/Whole School Gatherings:
- The same high-quality learning and play-based school day will continue for your children. However, there will be NO multi-class or whole school gatherings.
- Playground time will continue; however, we will limit the playground to one class at a time and will disinfect all playground equipment in between classes.
Cleaning & Disinfecting:
- The rooms have been thoroughly disinfected and sanitized and we will continue to maintain the new cleaning procedures as set forth by the NJ Department of Health, the CDC Guidelines and our local health department.
- These guidelines will be followed by the teacher and teacher assistant using recommended disinfectants approved by OSHA and the New Jersey Department of Children and Families.