Our History

1911

Our JCC began its existence 100 years ago, in Atlantic City, as the Young Men’s Hebrew Association.


1927

We opened our doors as the Jewish Community Center of Atlantic County, in a three-story building on Virginia Avenue. From two-handed dribble basketball in the gymnasium to Sunday school classes, from Akiba Club and Women’s League to Teen Dances on Saturday nights, the JCC was the heart and soul of the Atlantic City Jewish Community.


1942

The Atlantic City JCC was taken over by the United States Coast Guard and the JCC moved to temporary quarters on States Avenue  until the war was over.


1946

The Center returned to the building on Virginia Avenue. That same year, Camp By The Sea was created and has continued as one of the Center’s most popular programs.


1959

Continued growth and a population shift dictated a move to its current location on Jerome Avenue.


1972

The JCC Preschool opened.


1997

Bacharach Institute for Rehabilitation opened its doors in the JCC.


1988

Opening of the outdoor pool.


2003

After a massive renovation, the Milton & Betty Katz Jewish Community Center had a grand re-opening. A state-of-the-art fitness center, a heated pool, classroom facilities for Early Education, and special spaces for bike and exercise classes, make the JCC a complete facility, catering to every age group and interest in our community. The JCC auditorium features a continuous stream of cultural events, including galas, movies, shows, lectures, authors and special events. Today’s JCC continues to serve the many generations of its members, and the members of the community as a whole, by nurturing their social, cultural and fitness needs in an environment where everyone feels welcome – and fulfilled